Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Character Interview with Tamar Isleifsdottir



Tamar Isleifsdottir is the somewhat impoverished jarl of Dyrsholt. She is a mother, and a grandmother. She’s also a member of the Kyndred, a group of warriors who were raised to defend and counsel their king. But the king died years ago. The Kyndred have tried to keep faith with the promise that was inherent in his short reign: they’ve remained true to each other, and supported the late king’s brother as best they can. 

If you had a free day with no responsibilities, how would you spend it?

I’d probably take out a boat and row down the coast and dig for crabs.

What do you like best about yourself?

 Least I think I’ve done a good job raising my son. He’s a strong, honourable man. I hate that I am not as brave as the rest of the Kyndred. 

You’re caught sneaking into the kitchen for a late-night snack. What snack were you after?

Smoked venison sausage. My daughter-by-marriage makes the most delicious smoked meats, but she’s stingy with it! We only get it for feast days.

What are you most afraid of?

Death. I mean, death without some lasting deed-echoes to it. We’re all going to die, but - well, I just would like to make our name less of a curse. 

What is the one thing you value the most in life? 

That’s a hard one to answer. My family, my Kyndred, those are important. But the one thing I don’t want to lose is what little honour I do have in this world, I think. 

If you could go back in time for one day, where would you go?

That day at Fraylingsgaard: I would have made more noise getting dressed, and maybe more of the camp would have woken up, and we wouldn’t have ridden out alone, and -- well, you can’t change the past, can you?

Do you have a unique quirk?

I can’t braid my own hair properly. 

What is your favorite thing about the world you live in? Least favorite?

I love the sea. It scares me, sometimes, but it’s beautiful and powerful, and when you can master it, you’ve done something worthwhile. I hate winter. The bad always comes in the winter.

What quote would best describe you or your life? 

“She tried her best.”

Tell us about your biggest goal.

I don’t want to fail my Kyndred. I don’t want to be found out as the coward I am.

If you would like to learn more about Tamar Isleifsdottir you can The Shades of Winter here




No comments:

Post a Comment